Ready in less than half hour, this delicious recipe is perfect to transform a typical weekday dinner into a special occasion. You can make your gnocchi as little or big as you wish. I prepared large gnocchi (around 4cmx4cm) so that we have to cut them with a fork and dip each bite in the sauce!
Serve: 3 Time: 30 min
- 250g frozen spinach
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese (plus more to serve)
For the sauce:
- 1 can Italian tomato canned (I used the coles one)
- 1 tb tomato paste (no added salt)
- 1 pinch of sugar (to remove acidity of the tomato)
- fresh basil leaves
- oregano dried
- chilli flakes and pepper (if you wish)
- Defrost the spinach in the microwave and remove all the excess water
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce: in a small pot add the canned tomato, tomato paste and 1 cup of water (just use the empty can as cup), oregano, basil, chilli and pepper. Bring to boil then reduce the heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes
- In a large bowl, mixt together all the ingredients for the gnocchi with your hands to form a soft and sticky dough
- Spread some flour on a clear surface, take approx one full handful of the dough and roll it to form a long strip. Cut the strip into little square (the gnocchi!!) and place aside. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and add half bunch of the gnocchi. You will see when they are ready because they will magically come to the surface to easily be collected with a holed spoon.
- Place the prepared tomato sauce in a plate and arrange the gnocchi on top. Sprinkle with some parmesan and serve immediately. Buon Appetito!
Why we love this dish:
- It tastes and looks amazing
- Great vegetarian source of protein (21.5g per serve)
- Excellent source of calcium -to enhance bone mineral density- and fibre that make us feel full for longer and support our important gut microbiota
Did you know that this week is the Australian Healthy Weight Week??